Today in our numeracy group we read "The Maths Curse" by John Schieska. In the story we read about lots of Maths problems. One of the problems in the story was:Mrs. Fibbonaci had 24 children in her class. They are in 4 rows. How many children are in each row?
We all had to solve the problem and show our strategies. Then we talked about and explained our strategies to a buddy and then the group. We put our thinking onto a SOLO thinking rubric. We listed all of our stratgies (Multistructural outcome). Then we explained our strategies (Relational outcome). Lastly we created different problems, like 24 children in 3 rows, 6 rows and 8 rows... (Extended abstract outcome). It was pretty cool Maths thinking!

This looks like lots of fun! What wonderful problem solving today, numeracy group! Love the way you've used SOLO to show your thinking!
ReplyDeleteWow that book is so amazing. We've read it in our class. I hope you get blog of the week.
ReplyDeleteJoshua Page (Room 17)
I love picture books about maths! What a great way to engage everyone. It's all about telling a great story, and then present a problem like you did. Please let me know when this happens again, I'd love to be part of it!
ReplyDeleteYour blog looks great, by the way. I love the use of colour. Not too busy, but enough to catch the eye. Keep it up Fast Trackers!! :-)
ReplyDelete